by Toni St.Clair on Tuesday, July 8, 2008 at 5:57pm via FB
Well our trip started off rather interestingly...Jen and I missed our flight on the Friday (b/c of misdirections by the airport staff) and ended up taking the flight on Saturday. We arrived in Guatemala City to the same weather we had left in Mexico City...rain. We forgot that it's rainy season here as well...We didn't stay in Guatemala City, and just went straight to Antigua where we were quick to purchase raincoats and umbrellas...and we have definetly used them. Our hostel in Antigua was called ¨Casa Shalom¨ and it was quite nice. Very quiet, near to the main streets and locations, and pretty cheap...only Q65/night, which is roughly 9 or 10 dollars. We saw many colonial buildings such as the old convent, the many gorgeous churches, and of course every building we walked by. I liked Antigua b/c it's managed to maintain it's quaintness despite becoming quite the tourist destination...I still like Guanajuato first b/c it has many outdoor cafes and Antigua has none...none that we found anyways. Jen and I were planning on climbing the smaller and active of the 2 volcanoes there, Pacaya, but our shuttle ended up being at 4:30 instead of 2pm and we wouldn't have been back in Antigua until well after dark...so we skipped it...too bad. We did have a great final night there meeting some cool people and trading stories.
Tuesday morning we left Antigua at 7:30am and headed to Panajachal, which is the biggest of about 12 Mayan villages on Lake Atitlan. The trip was only 2 1/2 hours but we were in a small shuttle, packed like goats so Jen and I were VERY happy to get out and walk finally...We didn't walk far however, b/c we had to board a boat to take us to San Marcos...and it stopped at 4 different villages before reaching ours. All in all, a trip we were hoping would take us 4 hrs max ended up being about 6hrs!!! So after finding our hostel (a beautiful, organic minded hotel), we ate and went across the lake to San Pedro, the ¨party¨ place so to speak to take out some money...neither of us knew there were no ATM's at this village. I was supposed to have a massage at 4pm but there was a schedule mixup and I didn't end up having one...I hoping to have one tomorrow after our morning yoga session...that's right me doing yoga....in the morning!! Haha!!
Tomorrow Jen and I are planning on staying in San Pedro for the night before heading up north to Flores and the Tikal ruins. It's going to be a quick, but long, couple of days of travelling before we can just sit down and relax on a beach for 4 days!! I can not wait for that...Belize is supposed to be beautiful!
Well, I'm off to go and meet Jen at the meditation center. Hope all is well with everyone!! I'll be posting pics once I am back home in Mexico City...which seems so strange and far away right now, from this quiet beautiful town!
- xoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment